Aktuelle Zeit: Mi 17. Apr 2024, 01:57

st start of the season in Livingstons plac 
Autor Nachricht

Beitrag st start of the season in Livingstons plac
NEW YORK -- David Wright walked slowly back into the New York Mets clubhouse after most of his teammates were already gone and discussed a topic as foreign to him as any -- watching games instead of playing in them. That is the new reality for the All-Star third baseman and team captain, at least for the next 3 to 5 weeks, because a hamstring injury sustained Friday night has relegated him to being a spectator. "This is something relatively new to me. Ive been fortunately pretty healthy throughout my career," Wright said in a soft tone after the Mets lost 4-3 in 12 innings to the Kansas City Royals on Saturday, hours after he went on the disabled list. Wright was dealing with a sore hamstring for about a week, but decided to play through it at Washington and Miami. He believed it was more of a cramp than anything serious, trusting he knew the difference between being hurt and being injured. "We take pride in going out there and playing through certain things. I certainly do that," he said. "I didnt think by going out there and playing that this would happen. I dont think anybody thought this would happen." Wright underwent an MRI on Saturday morning and found out the news he was already somewhat expecting. Although he tried to play at a curbed level to protect himself, the natural instinct took over when he sensed he would beat out an infield hit in the 10th inning Friday night. "I dont think there is any way it could have been prevented, but here we are and you deal with it," said Wright, who has played in 105 of New Yorks 108 games this season. New York would go on to win 4-2 in 11 innings on Friday without him, but couldnt make it two straight. "There are certain guys you really almost cant afford to lose," Mets manager Terry Collins said. "He would fit that category for us. "David Wright is a star and youre going to miss his presence in your lineup. Any team that loses their number one player, its a huge hole to fill." The Mets recalled outfielder Mike Baxter from Triple-A Las Vegas, and he arrived in New York on Saturday morning from Nashville, Tenn., where the minor league club is playing. Justin Turner took Wrights place at third base on Saturday, and first baseman Josh Satin filled his No. 3 slot in the batting order. Satin had a two-run single to tie the game in the eighth inning Saturday. Collins wouldnt commit to any plan beyond Saturday. "We may have to make some lineup adjustments if its going to be a long-term thing," he said. "If its going to be two weeks, maybe we can just buy some time with some other guys." One possibility Collins offered is moving Daniel Murphy from second base back to third, which might be his best position. "Somebody has got to hit third on this team, too," Collins said. "Thats another hole to fill. Somebody has got to do it. You cant sit there on a daily basis and say, Gee, David is not here. We know hes not here. "Were not asking anybody to try to be David. Theyve got to be themselves, but somebody has got to hit in those lineups. We just cant leave it blank." Baxter was sent down to Las Vegas, along with first baseman Ike Davis on June 9 when Satin was called up. Davis has also since returned to the Mets. Baxter batted .212 with no home runs and four RBIs in 85 at-bats over 41 games with the Mets earlier this season. "Anytime you get sent down youre always hoping you get a chance to come back. You dont take that for granted," Baxter said. "I really wish it wasnt on these terms. Watching David getting hurt last night, nobody really wants to see that. He is the heart of this team. "Somebody is going to have to step up and were going to have to try to pick up the slack for him. Its a big hole to fill. I dont know if one guy can do it. Its probably going to have to come from a couple of us. Hopefully we do." The Mets were already dealing with multiple injuries in the bullpen on Friday before Wright got hurt. New York closer Bobby Parnell is unavailable until at least Sunday because of a stiff neck. Left-handed setup man Josh Edgin went on the disabled list on Friday, and is expected to be sidelined 4 to 6 weeks because of a stress fracture in a rib. Veteran reliever Pedro Feliciano was brought up on Friday from Las Vegas and he made his first major league appearance since 2010. Carlos Torres, who was scheduled to be Saturdays starter, was returned to the bullpen on Friday, and he earned the win with a two-inning effort. He will stay as a reliever for now as the Mets are abandoning their six-man rotation until Jonathon Niese returns soon from a shoulder injury. Jeremy Hefner was moved up from his Sunday start to pitch in Torres place against the Royals on Saturday. Zack Wheeler, used as a pinch-runner on Friday, will take the mound Sunday. Authentic Erik Karlsson Jersey . Meanwhile, there were huge victories for Sunderland and West Ham over fellow relegation rivals, leaving the battle to avoid the drop up for grabs with the bottom 11 teams separated by just six points. Eden Hazard and Fernando Torres scored second-half goals to seal a fourth straight victory for Chelsea, which climbed above Arsenal and Manchester City in the standings ahead of their games on Monday and Sunday respectively. Mike Hoffman Senators Jersey . But when it comes to determining if Raymond will find a place on the Leafs roster when training camp concludes in a week, well, that decision will ultimately fall to the head coach. http://www.hockeysenatorsshop.com/daniel-alfredsson-hockey-jersey/ . Murray beat Sam Querrey 7-6 (5), 6-7 (3), 6-1, 6-3 to clinch Britains opening-round victory against the United States on Sunday at Petco Park. "Im proud of the way Im playing just now, because I had to do a lot of work to get back to where I want to be," Murray said after celebrating with his teammates on the red clay court in a temporary stadium in left field of the downtown home of baseballs San Diego Padres. Authentic Jason Spezza Jersey . - Goaltender Philippe Desrosiers of the Rimouski Oceanic has broken a shutout record that was only three months old in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League. Authentic Kyle Turris Jersey . -- The Sacramento Kings are set to become the first major professional sports franchise to accept Bitcoin virtual currency for ticket and merchandise purchases.LOS ANGELES, Calif. - Although Jason Collins played only 10 1/2 minutes in his first game with the Brooklyn Nets, his groundbreaking appearance meant the world to an entire segment of fans. Collins became the first openly gay player in the four major U.S. professional sports leagues, and Deron Williams had a season-high 30 points along with seven assists in a 108-102 victory over the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday night. "I know that I can play in the NBA and it felt good to be out there tonight," Collins said. "Conditioning-wise, I felt good. I dont think I got tired. It was a lot of fun to get back out on the court and set screens, hard fouls. Didnt take any charges tonight — thatll change. Ill get in position next time. As far as basketball timing, its going to take at least a couple of practices." Collins signed a 10-day contract Sunday, nearly 10 months after his announcement on April 29 in Sports Illustrated. He had two rebounds and five fouls and didnt score. "Hes a basketball player. Hes been doing this for a long time, so that didnt change," Williams said. "Maybe outside perception did, but inside this locker room it wasnt a big deal or a distraction. It was just another game for us. But he played huge for us. He made big plays on defence and was instrumental in this win tonight. I know hes been sitting around waiting for a job, and were excited about having Jason." The 12-year veteran spent his first six-plus NBA seasons with the Nets and helped them get to the NBA Finals in 2002 and 2003. This was the 35-year-old centres first NBA game since April 17, 2013, with the Washington Wizards. "In the society we live in, you know this was going to happen eventually," teammate Paul Pierce said. "He is a guy whos going to be able to open the door for so many athletes — not only in America but around the world — to feel comfortable to come out and not feel embarrassed and feel like theyre welcomed in the sports world. It isnt about race, gender or sexuality. Its about being a part of a team and caring for one another. Thats all that matters at the end of the day." Pierce had 25 points and seven rebounds, helping end an 11-game Nets losing streak against the Lakers. Pau Gasol had 22 points and 11 rebounds for the Lakers, who never led and lost for the 24th time in 30 games with Kobe Bryant, Steve Nash and Xavier Henry all sidelined by injuries. Brooklyn played without Kevin Garnett, who was rested following Saturday nights 93-86 loss at Golden State. Shaun Livingston also didnt play because of a bruised tailbone that occurred in the first half against the Warriors. Marcus Thornton, who joined the club following Wednesdays trade that sent Reggie Evans and Jason Terry to Sacramento, has yet to see action for the Nets because of food poisoning. Nick p;Young played for the first time since Feb.dddddddddddd 5, scoring 10 points in 19 minutes for the Lakers after missing six games with a fracture in his left knee. Nets general manager Billy King, in need of a post player after losing centre Brook Lopez for the season on Dec. 20 with a broken right foot — and failing to acquire another one before last Thursdays trading deadline — took a chance on the 7-foot, 255-pound Collins. Collins also has played for Memphis, Minnesota, Atlanta and Boston, where he was a teammate of Pierce and Garnett last season. Sunday was a homecoming, as he was born in Northridge, Calif., and played his high school ball at Harvard-Westlake School in North Hollywood. Collins new coach is an old Nets teammate — Jason Kidd. "Its just another step in the right direction. I think its the advancements weve made as people and will continue to make advancements," Lakers point guard Kendall Marshall said. "As far as Im concerned, when I see him, I see him as a great defender — a guy that protects the paint and finishes around the rim. Thats all I see when Im out there. They needed help inside, and hes definitely going to be somebody who can help them with that." Collins scheduled pregame press conference was delayed about 15-20 minutes while he was still getting his physical. He reported into the game with 10:28 left in the second quarter and the Nets leading 35-26 after the Lakers Nick Young made the first of his two free throws. The sellout crowd welcomed Collins with a nice ovation when public address announcer Lawrence Tanter announced his name, and he spent 4 minutes and 15 seconds on the court during his first stint while the Nets increased their lead to 16 points. "It was very inspiring, how he just came in and was ready. He did the same thing for us last year with Boston," Pierce said. "You expect nothing but professionalism from Jason. Hes much needed around here with the lack of big men we have, especially with Kevin playing limited games in back-to-back moments. Jasons going to be big for us." Kirilenko made his first start of the season in Livingstons place and had 10 points and 10 rebounds in 35 minutes. Rookie Mason Plumlee made his second NBA start in Garnetts spot, and the Nets didnt miss a beat — using 14 points by Pierce to build a 31-12 lead with 3:35 left in the first quarter. NOTES: Bad timing Dept.: ESPN had this game on its original schedule, but dropped it a few weeks ago because of the Lakers dismal record and Bryants injury. As a result, the network settled for the Houston-Phoenix game instead. ... The Lakers hosted the Nets for the first time since Nov. 20, 2012, the night Mike DAntoni coached his first game with Los Angeles. DAntonis teams are 21-8 against the Nets, including a 9-5 mark during his three-plus seasons with the Knicks. Cheap NFL Jerseys ' ' '

Di 8. Nov 2016, 15:28