Aktuelle Zeit: Do 28. Mär 2024, 17:04

t I have to do." Australian amateur M 
Autor Nachricht

Beitrag t I have to do." Australian amateur M
CALGARY -- Jeremy Wotherspoon remains committed to an Olympic comeback in speedskating despite a setback. The four-time Olympian from Red Deer, Alta., missed qualifying for Canadas World Cup team in the 500 metres Thursday In his first races since the 2010 Olympic Games in Vancouver, Wotherspoon needed a top-five result at trials to represent Canada in World Cup races this fall, but he finished 11th. The 36-year-old will race the 1,000 metres at the Olympic Oval on Friday, but the 500 metres is his specialty. Wotherspoon still holds the world record of 34.03 seconds set in Salt Lake City in 2007. The Olympic trials for Canadas long-track speedskating team are Dec. 28 to Jan. 3. Wotherspoon believes thats enough time to get his race legs back and compete for a medal at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. "As much as Id like to do 500-metre World Cups, its not my main goal," he said. "My goal is to build and build towards the Olympics. "I know theres still a couple of months before the Olympics trials. After that, theres a month and a half before the Olympics so, itll come quick, but its still a lot of days for me to focus and lot of days for me to build up to that competition." Wotherspoon announced in June he was coming out of retirement for another shot at Olympic glory. Hes earned more World Cup medals than any other man with a career 67. Wotherspoon won three 500-metre world titles and another in the 1,000, plus four world sprint championships during a career that spanned a decade and a half. He was inducted into Canadas Sports Hall of Fame last year. Wotherspoons Olympic silver medal in the 500 metres in 1998 is overshadowed by an absence of medals at three subsequent Winter Games. He was the favourite to win the 500 in 2002, but stumbled and fell. Wotherspoon was ninth in the 500 in both 2006 and 2010. When Wotherspoon announced in March, 2010, that he was done racing, he said then it would take a while to get used to the idea. The lure of competition and the desire to race for a medal in the Olympics continued to call to him while coaching in Inzell, Germany, the last three years. "I missed that feeling of excitement and adrenaline and then the relaxation you get after a competition," Wotherspoon explained. "Its a nice type of feeling to have. At the same time, Im committed to being the best I can at Sochi. I dont want to go there as a tourist getting experience because I have that experience. "I want to go there and be able to compete. If I feel theres no way I can go and compete, I dont want to take that spot away from someone else who could gain valuable experience." The mens 500-metre rankings were determined by the combined time of two races, but Wotherspoon stepped to the start line three times Thursday He was given a re-race of his opening 500 metres because the other skater in his pairing, Patrick Marsh, blocked him on the backstretch during the lane change. So after posting a time of 35.43 seconds in his second race, Wotherspoon skated alone in his re-race for a time of 35.69. "It was a tougher day than I expected," he said. "Its not a normal competition feeling when youre by yourself at the end. It feels a bit like the competition is over. "Its a good test, a good mental test. Even though Im old and experienced, it was a new experience. It was a good test to try and perform well under difficult circumstances." Edmontons Jamie Gregg, Calgarys Gilmore Junio, William Dutton of Humboldt, Sask., Laurent Dubreuil of Levis, Que., and Alexandre St-Jean of Quebec City finished first to fifth in the mens 500 metres. The Canadian trials continue Friday until Sunday. The top five racers in all distances qualify to race the first four World Cups of the season with the exception of the mens 5,000 and 10,000 metres, in which only three skaters will be named to the Canadian team. The World Cup season opens Nov. 8-10 in Calgary followed by stops in Salt Lake City, Astana, Kazakhstan, and Berlin, Germany. Olympic 1,000-metre champion Christine Nesbitt of London, Ont., has already qualified to race the 1,000 and 1,500 metres. She won the 500 metres Thursday. Reginas Marsha Hudey, Wotherspoons sister Danielle from Red Deer, Calgarys Kaylin Irvine and Winnipegs Shannon Rempel were second to fifth respectively. Ottawas Ivanie Blondin won the womens 3,000 metres ahead of Winnipegs Brittany Schussler, Ottawas Lauren McGuire, Brianne Tutt of Airdrie, Alta., and Edmontons Nicole Garrido. Saskatoons Lucas Makowsky was the fastest in the mens 5,000 metres. Torontos Jordan Belchos finished second and Mathieu Giroux of Pointe-aux-Trembles, Que., was third. The top 500-metre men in the world currently includes 24-year-old Tae-Bum Mo of South Korea, 27-year-old Michel Mulder of the Netherlands and 28-year-old Joji Kato of Japan. Wotherspoon turns 37 later this month. Canadas Clara Hughes won an Olympic bronze medal in the 5,000 metres at age 37 in 2010, but distance racing favours older athletes because of the years it takes to build up a big aerobic engine. Sprinting requires fast-twitch muscles and explosive training on and off the ice. "Time will tell, but I dont think Ive lost my ability to move fast," Wotherspoon said. "I feel like I just need to get it back." Chris Heisey Jersey . And when it opened, every player was at his stall. Thats a sure sign that a team is in a slump and is searching for answers. "Its embarrassing to be at home and play the way we did," said defenceman Josh Gorges. Shawn Kelley Jersey . Parker had 26 points and eight assists and San Antonio beat Toronto 112-99 Monday night. "We won that game because of Tony Parkers aggressiveness," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "His juice; his aggression all night long. http://www.baseballnationalsofficial.com/authentic-gio-gonzalez-nationals-jersey/ .com) - The Chicago Blackhawks aim for their third three-game winning streak of the season when they host the struggling Edmonton Oilers in Sundays battle at the United Center. Stephen Strasburg Jersey . Jon Montgomerys gold medal in skeleton at the Whistler Sliding Centre and his subsequent auctioning off of a pitcher of beer in the village square elevated him to folk-hero status. Chris Heisey Nationals Jersey . The move comes after the Canadiens were approached by the Buffalo Sabres for permission to speak to Dudley - a former Sabres player and head coach. "The Sabres called for permission and I appreciate that, Im flattered, Dudley told TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN. MELBOURNE, Australia -- Swedens Caroline Hedwall had a hole-in-one and finished with a 7-under 65 on Friday to take the second-round lead in the Womens Australian Open. The Solheim Cup star aced the 160-yard par-3 16th, eagled the par-5 eighth after hitting to 4 feet and had five birdies and two bogeys at Victoria Golf Club to reach 11-under 133, one shot ahead of second-ranked Suzann Pettersen of Norway. "I couldnt see it and the crowd didnt want to yell because Laura (Davies) was hitting off on No. 17, so we walked up there and they were like, It went in!" Hedwall said. "Yesterday I hit a full 7-iron over the green (for bogey) and it was basically the same yardage today. So, I hit a softer 7-iron. It covered the pin the whole way and I just saw it bounce once and hit the pin, but I didnt see it go in." Winless on the LPGA Tour, Hedwall was a record 5-0-0 last year in Europes Solheim Cup victory in Colorado. "Im driving pretty well," Hedwall said. "I missed a couple of drives yesterday and today but I managed to save a coouple of bogeys and Im still making a lot of birdies and also eagles.ddddddddddddquot; Pettersen, the first-round leader after a 66, had a 68. "Today, was not the best day, but when I had a good chance, I kind of executed," Pettersen said. "Just not a great day, but sticking to the theme, coming down, finishing and coming back to my good feel. Its very, very close. Ive got to trust my feels and what I have to do." Australian amateur Minjee Lee was 9 under after a 67. The 17-year-old Lee was second behind Cheyenne Woods last week in the Australian Ladies Masters. "It was such a slow start," Lee said. "I started with nine pars. I was just patient and it came together late in the round." Swedens Anna Nordqvist had the round of the day, a 64 that broke the course record for women. She was tied for fourth at 8 under with 16-year-old New Zealander Lydia Ko and Englands Holly Clyburn. Ko and Clyburn shot 68. Woods, Tiger Woods niece, was tied for 20th at 5 under. She followed her opening 74 with a 65. Cheap NFL Jerseys ' ' '

Di 8. Nov 2016, 15:09