Aktuelle Zeit: Di 21. Mai 2024, 07:11

It takes a lot to put a smile on Bill Belichick's face and g 
Autor Nachricht

Beitrag It takes a lot to put a smile on Bill Belichick's face and g
from the stoic New England Patriots coach in the fourth game of the preseason. Third-string quarterback Danny Etling did it all on one play.In a meaningless game Thursday night in which neither team played their starters Aldrick Rosas Jersey , Etling added a lighthearted moment to the contest and iced the Patriots' 17-12 win with an 86-yard run on an option keeper that totally fooled the New York Giants' defense."Well that was one of the most exciting plays I have seen in preseason, I'll say. Great call by Chad," Belichick said, referring to the selection by receivers coach Chad O'Shea, who was given a chance to call the play.Etling, who also tossed a 1-yard touchdown pass to Ralph Webb early in the second half, said he looked behind him seven times on the jaunt down the right sideline."I just wanted to make sure no one was catching me," said Etling, who finished 18 of 32 for 157 yards after throwing six passes in the first preseason game. "I didn't realize you could use the Jumbotron."Etling's big run came on the first play after an Alex Tanney-led drive from the New York 1 stalled at the Patriots 14 with New England ahead 10-6 with 4:11 to play.Etling, who finished with 113 yards on seven carries, faked a handoff and ran an option around right end and scored untouched to give the Patriots a 3-1 preseason record."When's the last time a quarterback ran for 85 (really 86) yards, let alone for the Patriots," Belichick said. "I'd say at least 20 years, I know that. Maybe (Steve) Grogan, (Jim) Plunkett. Eighty, that's a long run."Nobody has worked harder than Danny. He's the first one in, last one out. He is diligent. When something like that happens, you are happy for him."The Giants finished their first preseason under new coach Pat Shurmur at 2-2.'"I thought the guys played hard, we didn't make enough plays in the end to win the game," Shurmur said.Giants quarterback Eli Manning chatted with receiver Odell Beckham Jr. in the first half, while Tom Brady sat next to the New England water coolers and relaxed.Two Giants penalties for lowering the head to initiate contact set up Stephen Gostkowski 33-yard field goal in the first quarter.Rookie Kyle Lauletta, who made the start for New York with Manning and backup Davis Webb held out, put the Giants ahead early in the second quarter with a 41-yard pass to Amba Etta-Tawo. Backup placekicker Marshall Koehn missed the extra point.Etling set up the touchdown to Webb with a 40-yard pass to K.J. Maye.Tanney closed out the scoring with an 8-yard TD pass to Alonzo Russell with 48 seconds to play. The 2-point conversion run failed.GOOD IMPRESSIONSGiants CB Donte Deayon Authentic Rhett Ellison Jersey , who battled a hamstring injury in the preseason, might have secured a roster spot with two interceptions. His drawback is he is small and injury prone."I won't be nervous," Deayon said of Saturday's final cut. "At this point, I put it all out on the table, I put my best foot forward. At this point, what happens, happens." ... Patriots free agent CB J.C. Jackson also had two interceptions and broke up a deep pass before being carted off late in the third quarter because of dehydration. "Yeah, I had something to prove tonight. I knew I had to ball. This is the last preseason game and I'm trying to make the roster," Jackson said. ... Giants veteran CB Chris Lewis-Harris was excellent in coverage and tackling.OBJThe NFL's highest paid receiver will head into the season for the Giants having not played a down in the preseason. He has not appeared in a game since breaking his left ankle on Oct. 8. Coach Pat Shurmur said he has been cautious with the 25-year-old wideout, but says Beckham will be ready for the opener.LEG WEARYPunters Ryan Allen of the Patriots and Riley Dixon of the Giants had busy nights, kicking six times each.ANTHEMThere were no displays of protest by either the Patriots or Giants, with both teams standing on their sideline for the anthem.INJURIESPatriots: OT Ulrick John (foot) and CB Jackson (dehydration) left the game. John was wearing a walking boot after the game.Giants: T Nick Becton (ankle) and RB Robert Martin (ankle) had to leave the game.UP NEXTPatriots: open regular-season at home against Houston on Sept. 9.Giants: open at home against Jacksonville on Sept. 9.Giants vs. Jaguars: Snaps and stats from the new-look Giants The first game of the New York Giants 2018 season is in the books. It wasn’t a pretty game, and considering it was a loss, it didn’t leave a particularly pleasant taste in the mouth. There were many things the GIants need to work on in this week of practice, but the team showed some positive signs as well. This was also our first chance to get a look at Pat Shurmur’s and James Bettcher’s schemes for the offense and defense. Let’s dive in to the snap counts and some of the statistics to see what we can learn about the Giants as they head into Week 2.OffenseThe Giants played a total of 71 plays on offense, and managed to hold a slight advantage in time of possession — 30:29 to 29:31 for Jacksonville. In our first look at the Giants’ offense with both Odell Beckham Jr. and Saquon Barkley, we got a good idea of the personnel grouping which Pat Shurmur wants to make the core of his offense. Odell Beckham played 68 of the 71 possible offensive snaps in his first game since breaking his ankle in week five of the 2017 season. Beckham was obviously the focus of the Giants’ passing attack, being targeted 15 times, catching 11 for 111 yards. Beckham was used all across the offensive formation, to threaten every level of the Jaguars’ defense, from the backfield to the third level.Meanwhile, TE Evan Engram played 64 snaps (5 targets, 2 catches Youth Kerry Wynn Jersey , 18 yards), WR Sterling Shepard played 61 snaps (7 targets, 5 catches, 48 yards).Saquon Barkley was clearly the team’s workhorse running back, playing 55 of 71 snaps (77 percent), running for 106 yards (and a touchdown) on 18 carries, adding 2 receptions for 22 yards on 6 targets. Barkley finished Sunday as one of the league’s most efficient runners. He averaged just 3.47 yards behind the line of scrimmage (sixth-fewest so far in Week 1). Thanks to his 68 yard run, Barkley finished with the league’s second most yards and the highest yards per carry total so far. Embarrassingly for the offensive line, Barkley only faced 8 or more defenders in the box on 27.78 percent of runs, and he only averaged 2 yards per carry outside of his big run.Beyond those four players, the Giants rotated the final spot as they moved between 11, 12, and 21 personnel groupings. The Giants used third receiver Cody Latimer on 47 snaps (66 percent), TE Rhett Ellison on 29 snaps (41 percent), FB Shane Smith on 5 snaps, and TE Scott Simonson on 4 snaps. Interestingly, Ellison proved to be the Giants’ most effective option for exploiting the Jaguars’ coverages, averaging a full six yards of separation. Beckham was second, averaging 4.71 yards of separation — league average was 2.75 yards of separation.DefenseOn defense, defensive backs Landon Collins and Eli Apple, as well as linebacker Alec Ogletree, led the way by playing all of the defense’s 63 snaps. Both DBs had strong games, with Collins notching 5 total tackles and a pass defensed Curtis Riley Jersey , while Apple had 3 tackles and 2 passes defensed.Janoris Jenkins was close behind with 62 snaps, as were FS Curtis Riley and EDGE Kareem Martin, each with 61 snaps. Jenkins might have had the best day of the Giants’ defenders, with 7 total tackles, 2 passes defensed, and his spectacular tip-toe interception (nearly two interceptions). On the defensive line, Dalvin Tomlinson and Damon Harrison did the bulk of the work, with 46 and 45 snaps, respectively. And despite being credited with the start, rookie linebacker Lorenzo Carter played just 24 snaps, while veteran Connor Barwin played 41 snaps (65 percent). The Giants’ most effective pass rusher, Kerry Wynn, only played 20 snaps. But in those 20 snaps, he got 3 total tackles and half a sack. Per Next Gen Stats, Wynn was also the Giants pass rusher to finish his rushes closer than league-average, coming to within an average of 4.41 yards (4.49 is league average). B.W. Webb was the only cornerback to play besides Apple and Jenkins, totaling 34 snaps (54 percent). Likewise, linebackers B.J. Goodson and Ray-Ray Armstrong played 33 and 30 snaps, respectively.

Fr 4. Jan 2019, 05:06