Aktuelle Zeit: Fr 29. Mär 2024, 16:12

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Venus Williams couldnt dig herself out o 
Autor Nachricht

Beitrag CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Venus Williams couldnt dig herself out o
CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Venus Williams couldnt dig herself out of a hole this time and lost to Montreals Eugenie Bouchard 7-6 (6), 2-6, 6-4 at the Family Circle Cup on Thursday. The 33-year-old Williams had fought back in each of her first two matches to advance. She seemed to follow the same game-plan in this one, rallying from a set down to win the second set and lead 2-1 in the third. Thats when the 20-year-old Canadian, took over, breaking Williams serve twice down the stretch including the final game. "I think Ive shown to myself how mentally strong I can be," said Bouchard, seeded sixth at the Family Circle. "Today was really a mental battle. It was a bit ugly at times and tough on the court, but I fought through it." Bouchard finished things off by reaching Williams drop shot and pushing it into the open court for her first victory over the seven-time Grand Slam champion. "She played a lot more consistently than I did," Williams said. "I think my errors really hurt me a lot today. Just a lot of up and down, a lot of errors." Especially in two key stretches when it looked as if the 33-year-old Williams was ready to take control. Bouchard was ahead 5-3 in the opening set when Williams rallied and held two set points in the tiebreaker. But Bouchard won the next four points, including a crisp backhand for a winner to secure the set. When Williams moved on top in the third set, Bouchard did not panic but dug in to move on to her third quarter-final round this year. "Ive just kind of raised my game a little bit and was extra solid on those important points," Bouchard said. Bouchard will next face second-seed Jelena Jankovic, the 2007 Family Circle champion who at No. 8 in world is the highest-ranked player remaining in the tournament. Jankovic defeated Croatias Ajla Tomljanovic 7-5, 6-1. Jankovic has reached the Family Circle quarter-finals in six of the past seven seasons. Shes been beaten by a Williams sister each of the last two years, falling to Venus in 2012 and to Serena in last years championship finals. Jankovic struggled early as the 20-year-old Tomljanovic fought off a set point to tie the opening set at 5-all. Jankovic then won eight of the next nine games to move forward. "I missed that overhead on my set point, which was kind of frustrating, and we levelled it at 5 5," Jankovic said. "But I was able to stay calm and regroup and finish that set. So that was very important." The loss ends a run of success for the Williams family on the courts here. Sister Serena was the two-time defending tournament champion before losing Tuesday night. Venus played with the Washington Kastles on the green clay to win the 2012 World Team Tennis title. Venus Williams had been bothered by an illness that she said limited her endurance this week. She had to come from behind in her first two matches here to face Bouchard and did not have enough stamina to wait out her opponents solid, flat ground strokes. "That kind of made it more challenging. I mean I think normally I would probably be able to challenge the points a little bit longer and just make her play more shots and just be more willing to play longer points," Williams said. Williams was the 2004 Family Circle champion. She reached the semifinals here last year where she lost to sister Serena, the eventual champion. Others advancing to the round of eight included third-seed Sara Errani, who outlasted Peng Shuai, 7-6 (6), 7-6 (5); No. 14 seed Andrea Petkovic,who topped fourth-seeded Sabine Lisicki 6-1, 6-0; unseeded Jana Cepelova, who defeated 13th-seed Elena Visnina 7-6 (4), 3-6, 6-3; and 12th-seed Daniela Hantuchova, who beat Teliana Pereira 6-2, 6-3. Errani rallied in each of her sets to eliminate Peng, the worlds top-ranked doubles player. For Cepelova, it was her second big victory of this event after knocking off world No. 1 Serena Williams in a stunner Tuesday night. Patrick Kane Jersey . THE THUNDER & PACERS BENCHES: In a nutshell, not impressive at all. ED Belfour Jersey .J. - Henrik Lundqvist has done more than set a couple of franchise records for the New York Rangers this week. http://www.officialblackhawksauthority. ... mized-c-4/. Iwakuma pitched seven strong innings to stay unbeaten in road games since last July, leading the Seattle Mariners to a 5-2 win over the Cleveland Indians on Tuesday night. Brandon Saad Jersey .com) - Coming off a pair of tough losses last week, the Syracuse Orange will try to put an end to their first losing skid of the season when they pay a visit to the Maryland Terrapins at the Comcast Center on Monday night in Atlantic Coast Conference action. Denis Savard Jersey .Y. -- Phil Jackson lost out on his preferred coach, but hes working hard on keeping his star player. SAN DIEGO -- Brandon Belt hit a two-run homer in the 10th inning to give the San Francisco Giants a 5-3 win over the San Diego Padres on Saturday night. Belt, in his second game back from the disabled list, homered off Dale Thayer (3-3) after Hunter Pence led off with a double. Belt, who missed 50 games with a broken thumb, hit his 10th homer of the season into the right-field stands. Michael Morse homered leading off the ninth inning against Padres closer Huston Street to tie it 3-3. That broke a streak of 23 consecutive saves for Street, the longest run in the majors. Sergio Romo (4-3), recently demoted from the closer role, earned the win. Santiago Casilla got the final three outs for his second save in five chances. San Francisco won for just the sixth time in 24 games and snapped San Diegos season-high, five-game winning streak. The Giants, who had been shut out in three of their previous five games, scored more than two runs for the third time in 11 games. After Joe Paniks sacrifice fly put San Francisco ahead 2-1 in the seventh, the Padres scored two runs in the bottom of the inning. Yasmani Grandal doubled with one out off Jean Machi and scored the tying run on Jake Goebberts triple into the right-centre field gap. Cameron Maybin followed with a sacrifice fly that easily scored Goebbert. San Franciscos Tim Hudson made his second strong start to break aa three-start losing streak.dddddddddddd Hudson gave up one run on three hits over six innings and avoided matching his career high for losses in consecutive starts. He struck out four and didnt walk a batter. The Padres tied it in the sixth on Seth Smiths sacrifice fly with one out after consecutive singles by Brooks Conrad and Alexi Amarista to open the inning. Gregor Blanco hit his first homer of the season to give the Giants a 1-0 lead in the second. Cuban defector Odrisamer Despaigne made his third career start for San Diego since being called up from the minors last month. The 27-year-old right-hander, who beat the Giants in his major league debut on June 23, wasnt as sharp this time. He overcame four walks and allowed one run and two hits over six innings, his shortest outing. In three starts since coming up from the minors, Despaigne has an ERA of 1.41. San Francisco third baseman Pablo Sandoval left the game in the first inning with a bruised left elbow after he swung and missed a pitch that hit him. NOTES: Street had converted 48 of 49 save chances dating to May 2013. ... San Diego was the only team that hadnt blown a lead after seven innings this season, going 29-0. ... Pence extended his hitting streak to 10 games with an infield single to open the game. ... Giants RHP Tim Lincecum (7-5, 4.06 ERA) will face Padres RHP Jesse Hahn (4-1, 1.95) in Sundays series finale. Wholesale MLB Orioles Jerseys Red Sox Jerseys From China Discount Yankees Jerseys Online Rays Jerseys For Sale Blue Jays Jerseys From China Wholesale MLB White Sox Jerseys Indians Jerseys For Sale Tigers Jerseys From China Wholesale MLB Astros Jerseys Cheap Baseball Angels Jerseys Athletics Jerseys From China Mariners Jerseys For Sale Cheap Baseball Rangers Jerseys Braves Jerseys For Sale Discount Marlins Jerseys Online Discount Mets Jerseys Online Phillies Jerseys From China Wholesale MLB Nationals Jerseys Cubs Jerseys From China Discount Reds Jerseys Online Brewers Jerseys From China Wholesale MLB Pirates Jerseys Wholesale MLB Cardinals Jerseys Diamondbacks Jerseys For Sale Rockies Jerseys For Sale Discount Dodgers Jerseys Online Discount Padres Jerseys Online Giants Jerseys For Sale ' ' '

Fr 17. Mai 2019, 05:39